    SubjectRe: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion

    (sorry about breaking the threading)

    On 1/24/06, Ed Sweetman <safemode@comcast.net> wrote:
    > Randy.Dunlap wrote:

    > >>I assume libata.atapi_enabled=1 is a boot arg, not some structure member
    > >>in the source for the pata driver that i need to set to 1, correct?
    > >>

    > >Yes, it's a kernel boot option if libata is in the kernel image.
    > >If libata is a loadable module, just use something like
    > > modprobe libata atapi_enabled=1
    > >

    > >>And you just built and tested it, how did you test if the atapi argument
    > >>worked when you then say "not ATAPI" as something you tested?
    > >>

    > >Sorry, I mean that I built and booted a kernel with libata/PATA
    > >hard drive (vs. legacy drivers/ide/ PATA support). I have not
    > >tested ATAPI at all and didn't mean to imply that I had.
    > >
    > >I reported on libata.atapi_enabled=1 based on documentation
    > >and other emails that I have read.
    > >

    > >>In any case, i'll try out libata.atapi_enabled=1 and see if it detects
    > >>the dvd drive.
    > >>

    > >HTH. Please continue to post any questions or problems.
    > >

    > I Rebooted several times, both setting the option in the kernel boot
    > args and editing the source to have it set by default. No atapi devices
    > are found/mentioned or even described as not found in dmesg/bootup. So
    > apparently, on my chipset, the amd/nvidia pata driver is not detecting
    > atapi devices.
    >
    > 0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
    > 0000:00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA
    > Controller (rev f3)
    > 0000:00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA
    > Controller (rev f3)
    >
    > 0000:00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
    > (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    > Subsystem: Unknown device f043:815a
    > Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0
    > I/O ports at f000 [size=16]
    > Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
    >

    > the atapi device in question is a plextor px-712A, it's the only device
    > on the secondary channel.

    And this is with using only ATA (libata) drivers in drivers/scsi/
    and not ATA drivers in drivers/ide/, right?

    Hm. I guess we treat this as a bug report for NV ATA/ATAPI then.

    I just tested my system with a Plextor PX-712SA drive plus
    booting with libata.atapi_enabled=1 and the driver (not nv)
    sees the ATAPI drive and can read it.

    --
    ~Randy