    Albert Cahalan <acahalan@gmail.com> wrote:

    > We Linux users will forever patch your software to work the

    Looks like you are not a native English speaker. "We" is incorrect here, as you
    only speak for yourself.

    > BTW, before Joerg mentions portability, I'd like to remind
    > everyone that all modern OSes support the use of normal device
    > names for SCSI. The most awkward is FreeBSD, where you have
    > to do a syscall or two to translate the name to Joerg's very
    > non-hotplug non-iSCSI way of thinking. Windows, MacOS X, and
    > even Solaris all manage to handle device names just fine. In
    > numerous cases, not just Linux, cdrecord is inventing crap out
    > of thin air to satisfy a pre-hotplug worldview.

    Looks like you are badly informed, so I encourage you to get yourself informed
    properly before sending your next postig....

    libscg includes 22 different SCSI low level transport implementations.

    - Only 5 of them allow a /dev/hd* device name related access.

    - 11 of them use file descriptors as handles for sending SCSI
    commands but do not have a name <-> fs relation and thus
    _need_ a SCSI device naming scheme as libscg offers.
    This is because there is no 1:1 relation between SCSI addressing
    and a fd retrieved from a /dev/* entry.

    - 6 of them not even allow to get a file descriptors as handles for
    sending SCSI commands. These platforms of course need the SCSI device
    naming scheme as libscg offers.

    Conclusion:

    17 Platforms _need_ the addressing scheme libscg offers

    5 Platforms _may_ use a different access method too.

    NOTE: Amongst the 6 plaforms that do not allow to even get a file descriptor
    there is a modern OS like MacOS X

    BTW: the wording of your posting did give you a negative score.
    If you continue the same way, it may be that your next posting will
    remain unanswered even though it may be wring and needs a correction like this
    one.

    Jörg

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)