    SubjectRe: 2.6.16-rc1-mm2 pata driver confusion
    On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:43:20AM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:
    > I have an nforce4 based motherboard. Currently i'm using the amd/nvidia
    > driver under the normal ide,ata driver section (2.6.14).
    > It appears that the new ata code is hiding under scsi/sata drivers,
    > including apparently pata code. This alone reads confusing, pata

    libata PATA support is under development. Use only if you feel lucky.
    Really lucky. I mean, really really lucky.

    > 1. Atapi is most definitely not supported by libata, right now.

    Not true.

    > 2. whether libata sets the controller up better or not, ide cdroms MUST
    > be loaded before libata is or the ide controller will be detected as
    > "already in use" and the cdrom drivers wont have any device to attach
    > to, since unlike scsi drivers, ide drivers dont probe the hardware on
    > controllers to see if any driver has claimed them.

    Either use drivers/ide or libata for PATA, not both.

    > 3. For hdd's alone, the pata libata + sata drivers are a "complete"
    > replacement for the ide drivers and thus, if you dont have atapi
    > devices, you dont need to compile in ide support.

    Again, ATAPI works just fine.

    > 4. moving to pata libata drivers _will_ change the enumeration of your
    > sata devices, it seems that pata is initialized first, so when setting
    > up your fstab entries and grub, you'll have to take into account how
    > many pata devices you have and offset your current sata device names by
    > that amount.

    Enumeration of devices depends on which driver is loaded first.
    Check your /etc/modprobe.conf.

      Last update: 2006-01-24 15:53    [W:0.032 / U:36.212 seconds]