SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] the scheduled removal of the obsolete raw driver

>> > OTOH, if this database actually does have a better way, and its mature
>> > and proven, then I see no reason to cripple the database people just to
>> > remove what is viewed as a potentially dangerous path to the media
>> > surface for the unwashed to abuse.
>>
>> The database people have a newer and supported way to do that, via the
>> O_DIRECT flag to open(). They aren't losing any functionality.
>
>And they'll no doubt update to use it on their cycles of development.
>Which for some large vendor systems means five years.

"The main reason there are no raw devices [in Linux] is that I personally
think that raw devices are a stupid idea." (Linus Torvalds, 17 Oct 1996)
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9610.2/0030.html (wikiquote)

That stands, but a raw driver found its way in someday.

(And now luckily is on its way out again.)

Jan Engelhardt