    SubjectRe: Development tree, PLEASE?
    >> Ok, so you agree that there was an ample warning that devfs is going
    >> away... Now, what would be different if 2.8.0 released tomorrow
    >> without devfs and your vendor would require you to build new Debian
    >> installer and kernel?
    >
    > Because that would be expected. That constitutes a major release, and should
    > theoretically have had a development tree corresponding before it.

    So let's rename 2.6.16 to 2.7.0, plus:

    - (implicitly with the *rename*) stop the 2.6.x series

    - never use 2.<even>.x again
    (some people still don't seem to get that <even> does not mean
    "stable" in the 2.4 sense)
    - or start 3.x with an overall new counting scheme

    - follow the current development model as usual

    > I really understand atleast some of the reasons from the kernel development
    > standpoint, and can see many really good reasons for running a development tree
    > like this, and as a method of development I like and agree with it.
    > However...for the general consumption there still needs to be some sort of
    > stable target that can be used that's 'blessed' with that mark, and will get
    > atleast some attention by developers for security updates and (mostly major)
    > bugfixes, and that people can contribute these sorts of things to, probably
    > with the proviso that they also contribute it to the mainline dev kernel maybe
    > IE if you're going to add new supported device to 'stable' 2.6.16.x then you've
    > got to add it to whatever the current 'dev' line is say 2.6.22 or whatever.
    > The placing of the .'s is just symbolic. It could be 2.6.x and 2.7.x just as
    > in the past or it could be 3.0.0.x and 3.0.0+n

    Jan Engelhardt