SubjectRe: [Alsa-devel] RFC: OSS driver removal, a slightly different approach
It seems to me we can already get rid of sound/oss/dmasound now.
I cannot find anything refering to it anymore, and the ALSA powermac
driver is being maintained.

Martin

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 06:46:00PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> My proposal to remove OSS drivers where ALSA drivers for the same
> hardware exists had two reasons:
>
> 1. remove obsolete and mostly unmaintained code
> 2. get bugs in the ALSA drivers reported that weren't previously
> reported due to the possible workaround of using the OSS drivers
>
> I'm slowly getting more and more reports for the second case.
>

> The list below divides the OSS drivers into the following three
> categories:
> 1. ALSA drivers for the same hardware
> 2. ALSA drivers for the same hardware with known problems
> 3. no ALSA drivers for the same hardware
>

> My proposed timeline is:
> - shortly before 2.6.16 is released:
> adjust OBSOLETE_OSS_DRIVER dependencies to match exactly the
> drivers under 1.
> - from the release of 2.6.16 till the release of 2.6.17:
> approx. two months for users to report problems with the ALSA
> drivers for the same hardware
> - after the release of 2.6.17 (and before 2.6.18):
> remove the subset of drivers marked at OBSOLETE_OSS_DRIVER without
> known regressions in the ALSA drivers for the same hardware
>

> To make a long story short:
>
> If you are using an OSS driver because the ALSA driver doesn't work
> equally well on your hardware, send me an email with a bug number in the
> ALSA bug tracking system now.

  Last update: 2006-01-20 12:57    [W:0.225 / U:1.420 seconds]