SubjectRe: Development tree, PLEASE?
Date
On Jan 20, 2006, at 12:06, Michael Loftis wrote:
> --On January 20, 2006 5:35:51 PM +0100 Marc Koschewski
> <marc@osknowledge.org> wrote:
>> Moreover, as far as I remember... my devfsd -> udev transsition
>> went as smooth as a reboot.
>
> The one machine I've got running 2.6+devfs under debian chokes in
> initrd with an inability to find devfs during boot so I had to go
> back to static /dev entries for it since atleast in sarge right now
> I'm not seeing a quick-and-easy way to get devfs like support
> bundled via mkinitrd, but I haven't looked, and I shouldn't have to.

Guess what, you _don't_ have to. I have no less than 4 different 2.6
debian boxes here, all booting the fully modular stock Debian kernels
from software RAID on SATA or PATA (depends on the box). Not only
that, but I can shut down and rearrange those drives to different IDE/
SATA ports, then boot and it all still works with consistent /dev
names (With the exception that I have to bump yaboot into booting
from a different OpenFirmware path). If you've customized and
hardcoded a lot of the boot scripts, I can understand why things
might be breaking, but the default initrds that the Debian tools
generate work just fine for me.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
There is no way to make Linux robust with unreliable memory
subsystems, sorry. It would be like trying to make a human more