    SubjectRe: [POLL] SLAB : Are the 32 and 192 bytes caches really usefull on x86_64 machines ?

    On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > There is - who tells you it's the best possible distribution of memory?

    Maybe it's not. But that's besides the point. The specific problem Bonwick
    mentioned is related to cache line distribution and should be taken care
    of by slab coloring. Internal fragmentation is painful but the worst
    offenders can be fixed with kmem_cache_alloc(). So I really don't see the
    problem. On the other hand, I am not opposed to dynamic generic slabs if
    you can show a clear performance benefit from it. I just doubt you will.

    Pekka

      Last update: 2006-01-02 14:06    [W:0.114 / U:0.204 seconds]