    SubjectInclusion of x86_64 memorize ioapic at bootup patch
    Hi Andi,

    Can you please include the following patch. This patch has already been pushed
    by Andrew.

    http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.15-rc5/2.6.15-rc5-mm3/broken-out/x86_64-io_apicc-memorize-at-bootup-where-the-i8259-is.patch

    This patch is regarding remembering at boot up time where i8259 is connected
    and restore the APIC settings back during kexec boot or kdump boot. This
    enables getting timer interrupts in new kernel in legacy mode.

    This patch is needed to make kexec and kdump work on some systems,
    especially opteron boxes. Otherwise the second kernel does not receive
    timer interrupts during early boot hence hangs.

    I understand, that you are inclined towards remembering all the APIC states
    and simply restore it back instead of putting hooks. This will work
    well for kexec but not for kdump because in kdump system can crash on
    non-boot cpu.

    Restoring BIOS APIC state can make sure that BIOS designated boot cpu will
    always be able to see timer interrupts in legacy mode but same does not
    hold good if new kernel boots on some other cpu as is the case with kdump.

    In case of kexec boot, we relocate to boot cpu but in case of kdump we
    don't because it was suggested that in some extreme cases of crash, boot cpu
    might not respond even to NMI and relocation to boot cpu will not be
    possible.

    Can you please re-consider this patch for inclusion.

    Thanks
    Vivek

      Last update: 2006-01-03 05:50    [W:0.021 / U:1.060 seconds]