SubjectRe: [patch 2.6.15-current] i386: multi-column stack backtraces
Chuck Ebbert <76306.1226@compuserve.com> wrote:

> Print stack backtraces in multiple columns, saving screen space.
> Number of columns is configurable and defaults to one so
> behavior is backwards-compatible.
>
> Also removes the brackets around addresses when printing more
> that one entry per line so they print as:
> <address>
> instead of:
> [<address>]
> This helps multiple entries fit better on one line.
>
> Original idea by Dave Jones, taken from x86_64.

Presumably this is going to bust ksymoops. Also the various other custom
oops-parsers which people have written themselves.

> +config STACK_BACKTRACE_COLS

It's pretty sad to go and make something like this a config option. But
given that it is, believe it or not, an exported-to-userspace interface, I
guess there's not much choice.

The patch is a desirable change (I do get seasick reading x86_64 traces,
but I'll get over it), but it'll cause various bits of downstream grief.

  Last update: 2006-01-17 07:46    [W:0.073 / U:1.376 seconds]