    SubjectRe: git-diff-files and fakeroot
    On Jan 17, 2006, at 00:27, Ryan Anderson wrote:
    > On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 06:36:39PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
    >> BTW, Ryan, I suspect this is where you try to append "-dirty" to
    >> the version number. But I wonder why you are doing the build
    >> under fakeroot to begin with? Wasn't the SOP "build as
    >> yourself, install as root"?
    > That's exactly what started this search, because I was running
    > "make deb-pkg". (Effectively.) dpkg-buildpackage wants to think it
    > is running as root, either via sudo or via fakeroot. I had my
    > build environment switched over entirely to fakeroot, as it just
    > seems to be a better practice, but I've temporarily switched back
    > to sudo.
    > However, your explanation has pointed out to me how I can solve
    > this - run "fakeroot -u" instead of "fakeroot", and I think it will
    > be fixed.

    You should run "make" first, then after that completes run "fakeroot
    make deb-pkg". I think this is similar to what the Debian package
    "kernel-package" does, except it substitutes an alternate "debian/"
    directory. IIRC, it just runs "make install" as a normal user to a
    staging directory, then runs "$(ROOTCMD) dpkg-deb -b [...]" to build
    the package. IMHO it's somewhat of a cleaner solution, and I've used
    it for several years now with no issues.

    Kyle Moffett

    I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you
    looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
    -- Poul Anderson

      Last update: 2006-01-17 07:02    [W:0.023 / U:7.000 seconds]