SubjectRe: git-diff-files and fakeroot
Date
On Jan 17, 2006, at 00:27, Ryan Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 06:36:39PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> BTW, Ryan, I suspect this is where you try to append "-dirty" to
>> the version number. But I wonder why you are doing the build
>> under fakeroot to begin with? Wasn't the SOP "build as
>> yourself, install as root"?
>
> That's exactly what started this search, because I was running
> "make deb-pkg". (Effectively.) dpkg-buildpackage wants to think it
> is running as root, either via sudo or via fakeroot. I had my
> build environment switched over entirely to fakeroot, as it just
> seems to be a better practice, but I've temporarily switched back
> to sudo.
>
> However, your explanation has pointed out to me how I can solve
> this - run "fakeroot -u" instead of "fakeroot", and I think it will
> be fixed.

You should run "make" first, then after that completes run "fakeroot
make deb-pkg". I think this is similar to what the Debian package
"kernel-package" does, except it substitutes an alternate "debian/"
directory. IIRC, it just runs "make install" as a normal user to a
staging directory, then runs "$(ROOTCMD) dpkg-deb -b [...]" to build
the package. IMHO it's somewhat of a cleaner solution, and I've used
it for several years now with no issues.
Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you
looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.