SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.16-rc1
>> Can I ask if it's possible to "mark" new features/important changes?
>
>Well, I'd rather not do it in the source control management itself, simply
>because people are notoriously bad at deciding what is "important".
>
>It goes something like this: "By definition, anything _you_ work for is
>crap and unimportant, while _my_ work is the most important thing ever,
>even if it happens to be just fixing typos".

Important is what is important for all members of an "independent" group.
We already have a small example: kerneltraffic. Though it's just one person
and therefore possibly biased, the magazine picks out what's [deemed]
important.
Typos don't really advance to important IMO, even if they fix oopses (e.g.
a missing ! somewhere). More important are world news, news that Joe
Default User thinks is good - "full double preemption", "O(0.5) scheduler"
and other illusory things. Just think of if you had to commercially sell
a Linux kernel CD what features you would print on the cover.
As for me, it was important to see SCHED_BATCH going in, as I started
to look through the big changelog :)
Well, my 2 euros. (Yeah, 200 cents!)

Jan Engelhardt