SubjectRe: RFC [patch 00/34] PID Virtualization Overview
On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 10:09 -0800, Suleiman Souhlal wrote:
> Dave Hansen wrote:
> > One use for containers might be to pick a container from a system, wrap
> > it up, and transport it to another system where it would continue to
> > run. We would have to make sure that the pids did not collide with any
> > containers running on the target system.
> Couldn't you assign new pids when the container is transported to the
> other system?

You do assign new pids, at least as far as the kernel is concerned.
However, any processes that continue to run would get confused if their
pid changed. You have to make sure that the tasks have a _consistent_
view of which process is which pid.

-- Dave