    SubjectRe: RFC [patch 00/34] PID Virtualization Overview
    On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 08:19 -0800, Suleiman Souhlal wrote:
    > Serge Hallyn wrote:
    > > The mechanism to start a container
    > > is to 'echo "container_name" > /proc/container' which creates a new
    > > container and associates the calling process with it. All subsequently
    > > forked tasks then belong to that container.
    > > There is a separate pid space associated with each container.
    > > Only processes/task belonging to the same container "see" each other.
    > Why does there need a separate pid space for each container?
    > You don't really need one to make sure that only processes in the same
    > containers can see each other.

    One use for containers might be to pick a container from a system, wrap
    it up, and transport it to another system where it would continue to
    run. We would have to make sure that the pids did not collide with any
    containers running on the target system.

    -- Dave

      Last update: 2006-01-17 18:11    [W:0.021 / U:67.696 seconds]