    SubjectRe: io performance...
    Did you direct the program to use O_DIRECT?  If not then I believe the
    problem you are seeing is that the generic block layer is not performing
    large enough readahead to keep all the disks in the array reading at
    once, because the stripe width is rather large. What stripe factor did
    you format the array using?

    I have a sata fakeraid at home of two drives using a stripe factor of 64
    KB. If I don't issue O_DIRECT IO requests of at least 128 KB ( the
    stripe width ), then throughput drops significantly. If I issue
    multiple async requests of smaller size that totals at least 128 KB,
    throughput also remains high. If you only issue a single 32 KB request
    at a time, then two requests must go to one drive and be completed
    before the other drive gets any requests, so it remains idle a lot of
    the time.

    Max Waterman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been referred to this list from the linux-raid list.
    >
    > I've been playing with a RAID system, trying to obtain best bandwidth
    > from it.
    >
    > I've noticed that I consistently get better (read) numbers from kernel
    > 2.6.8
    > than from later kernels.
    >
    > For example, I get 135MB/s on 2.6.8, but I typically get ~90MB/s on later
    > kernels.
    >
    > I'm using this :
    >
    > <http://www.sharcnet.ca/~hahn/iorate.c>
    >
    > to measure the iorate. I'm using the debian distribution. The h/w is a
    > MegaRAID
    > 320-2. The array I'm measuring is a RAID0 of 4 Fujitsu Max3073NC
    > 15Krpm drives.
    >
    > The later kernels I've been using are :
    >
    > 2.6.12-1-686-smp
    > 2.6.14-2-686-smp
    > 2.6.15-1-686-smp
    >
    > The kernel which gives us the best results is :
    >
    > 2.6.8-2-386
    >
    > (note that it's not an smp kernel)
    >
    > I'm testing on an otherwise idle system.
    >
    > Any ideas to why this might be? Any other advice/help?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Max.
    > -
    > linux-kernel" in

      Last update: 2006-01-17 18:09    [W:0.026 / U:90.112 seconds]