SubjectRe: differences between MADV_FREE and MADV_DONTNEED
Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> We can also use it for the same purpose, we could add the pages to
> swapcache mark them dirty and zap the ptes _after_ that.

Wouldn't that cause the pages to get swapped out immediately?
If so, I don't think this would be the best approach: It would be better
to just move the pages to the inactive list, if they aren't there
already, so that they get swapped out only when they really need to be.

-- Suleiman