SubjectRe: Is user-space AIO dead?
Attached are the results of some simple testing I did in ods format.
These tests involved having dd read the first GB of data from my two
drive sata (fake)raid0 array with varying numbers of concurrent aio
operations ( except for the original, non aio dd of course ).

I performed these tests with cpufreq disabled and filesystems mounted
with noatime to insure no disturbances. I also set the IO scheduler to
noop, otherwise the default scheduler reordered the IO requests which
was not good for sequential throughput. I used commands like this:

sync
dd bs=512 count=1 iflag=direct if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null
dd bs=512 count=1 iflag=direct if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null
time dd bs=128KiB count=32768 iflag=direct if=/dev/mapper/via_hfciifae
of=/dev/null

The first two commands were to make sure the drive head was on track
zero, otherwise the TCQ on the drives kicked in and reordered some of
the earlier reads as the head seeked to track zero.

The results show a rather large increase in throughput for block sizes
under 128 KB, with a smaller improvement on larger block size.
Likewise, the cpu time used was significantly lower, especially with
block sizes less than 128 KB. In most cases, the original dd uses 2-3
times more cpu time than the aio dd.

The original dd reached near peak throughput ( 93.4 MB/s ) at a block
size of 128 KB. I believe this is due in part to that being the stripe
width of the array, so smaller block sizes did not keep both drives
operating full time. In contrast all of the aio trials reached peak
throughput of 97.x MB/s with a block size of only 32 KB, and at the
smallest block size of 16 KB, the aio(16) trial managed more than 20%
higher throughput than the non aio dd ( 72.1 vs 59.7 MB/s ), and did so
using 1/7th the cpu time.

To show the difference O_DIRECT makes, at 128 KB block size the original
dd with O_DIRECT managed 93.4 MB/s using 0.906 seconds of CPU time.
Without O_DIRECT, the original dd only sustains 82.6 MB/s and uses a
whopping 2.912 seconds of cpu time, or more than triple the time without
O_DIRECT, and 13x more cpu time than the aio(4) test at that block size!