    SubjectRe: Back to the Future ? or some thing sinister ?
    On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 22:03 -0600, Nathan Lynch wrote:
    > Chaitanya Hazarey wrote:
    > >
    > > We have got a machine, lets say X , make is IBM and the CPU is Intel
    > > Pentium 4 2.60 GHz. Its running a 2.6.13.1 Kernel and previously,
    > > 2.6.27-4 Kernel the distribution is Debian Sagre.

    [snip]

    > > The problem is that, after a some time ( fuzzy , but I think like 2
    > > hours ) of inactivity or because of some esoteric factor which triggers
    > > a state in which the time on the machine starts going around in a loop.
    > > if I do cat /proc/uptime, it goes 4 ticks ahead and again rewinds back
    > > to the starting count ( not zero, but the moment in time when the event
    > > was triggred. )
    > >
    > > The problem seems to be specific to the 2.6 series of kernel, not the
    > > 2.4 series.
    > >
    > > I would like to know how to go about the debugging of the problem, and
    > > that which specific part of the kernel will be directly interacting with
    > > the rtc / system clock.
    >
    > Look into upgrading the BIOS on that machine; I've had similar
    > problems on a IBM P4 workstation that were fixed in this way.

    Yes, there was a problematic BIOS on some IBM P4 systems that after a
    few hours messed up the apic's timer interrupt frequency. I believe
    booting w/ noapic will work around the issue, but the correct fix is to
    update your BIOS.

    Please file a bugzilla bug if upgrading your BIOS does resolve the
    issue.

    thanks
    -john

      Last update: 2006-01-11 23:06    [W:0.033 / U:178.188 seconds]