    SubjectRe: Is user-space AIO dead?
    --- David Lloyd <dmlloyd@tds.net> wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Kenny Simpson wrote:
    >
    > > --- David Lloyd <dmlloyd@tds.net> wrote:
    > >> Wouldn't nonblocking I/O on regular files be nice?
    > >
    > > Yes it could be. As I understand it, regular file writes (not O_DIRECT)
    > > are only to the page cache and only block when there is memory pressure
    > > (so it is more of a throttle).
    >
    > If you were however using O_DIRECT or O_SYNC, you would then have a
    > mechanism to know when your writes have made it to disk, which might be
    > useful for transactional systems.

    Right, but I'm not sure O_DIRECT implies stable storage, only data sent out to the device, not
    held up in the page cache (I could be wrong).

    AIO is implemented for O_DIRECT according to the paper, but they observed it not having benefit.

    AIO being implemented to O_SYNC would be nice for my use, as it would also eliminate the extra
    alignment restrictions brought on by O_DIRECT.

    -Kenny