SubjectRe: git pull on Linux/ACPI release tree
Date
On Jan 09, 2006, at 21:50, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> if we have three independent features/development trees, they can
> be debugged independently too, while any linkages inevitably also
> mean that any bugs end up being interlinked..

One example:

If I have ACPI, netdev, and swsusp trees change between an older
version and a newer one, and my net driver starts breaking during
suspend, I would be happiest debugging with the following set of
patches/trees (Heavily simplified):

^

[5]

broken
^ ^ ^
[2] [3] [4]
/ | \
netdev3 acpi3 swsusp3
^ ^ ^
| | |
netdev2 acpi2 swsusp2
^ ^ ^
| | |
netdev1 acpi1 swsusp1
^ ^ ^
\ | /
\ | /
\ | /
\|/

[1]

works

If the old version [1] works and the new one [5] doesn't, then I can
immediately test [2], [3], and [4]. If one of those doesn't work,
I've identified the problematic patchset and cut the debugging by
2/3. If they all work, then we know precisely that it's the
interactions between them, which also makes debugging a lot easier.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans