    SubjectRe: Why the DOS has many ntfs read and write driver,but the linux can't for a long time
    On Tuesday 10 January 2006 08:26, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
    > On Tuesday 10 January 2006 10:33, D. Hazelton wrote:
    > > On Tuesday 10 January 2006 02:33, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > > Andrew, I think this is a rare (on lkml at least) case when guy
    > > > does not want to participate in development in a Linux way
    > > > but wants to just pay for development instead:
    > > > "I want this <hardware> to work good under Linux. I want to pay
    > > > up to <sum> to whoever will agree to do that. Anybody?"
    > > >
    > > > Do not dismiss him lightly. There are LOTS of people which aren't
    > > > hackish at all. An order of magniture more than 'us' computer geeks.
    > > > M$ is successful because it uses this resource.
    > > > We may want to think how can we use it too.
    > > >
    > > > No, I don't think you, or someone else on this list can efficiently
    > > > use it, but distros, being more commercially oriented, maybe can.
    > >
    > > This is true. The types of bounties I have seen in OS development do not
    > > usually reach much beyond $500. If distro's were to get behind this and
    > > start offering bounties of large sums for _working_ code for hardware
    > > there might be a response.
    > I meant a different thing. Distro is a commercial entity.
    > Users can buy services from businesses. "Write (or fix) me a driver"
    > is a service.
    > People inclined to just pay for code instead of helping with coding
    > may have greater success talking to distros.
    > Of course, distros then will hire someone from lkml crowd to actually do
    > it.
    > If there will be enough of cash flow from such requests, this can
    > becode somebody's full time job.

    Almost exactly what I meant. Truth is, though, that I mentioned the "bounty"
    system because its flexible enough that the distro's wouldn't have to hire
    someone full-time. However, I can see that it would make a difference in
    several respects. Statement withdrawn.

    D. Hazelton

      Last update: 2006-01-11 05:48    [W:0.031 / U:6.952 seconds]