    SubjectRe: [OT] ALSA userspace API complexity
    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Heikki Orsila wrote:

    > > > err = alsa_simple_pcm_open(nchannels, sampleformat, samplingrate, frames_in_period /* 0 for automated default */ );
    > > > err = alsa_simple_writei(); /* handless signal brokeness automagically */
    > > > alsa_simple_close();
    > >
    > > Well, it's better to create only "fast parameter setup" and "default error
    > > recovery" functions.
    >
    > As long as all applications PCM code can be written into 10-20 C lines.
    > That includes: opening device, writing pcm data and closing the device.

    I've added snd_pcm_set_params() and snd_pcm_recover() functions into
    alsa-lib (they're a bit experimental and I'm still waiting for any
    feedback from others).

    The "minimal example" can be reached at:

    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/alsa/alsa-lib/test/pcm_min.c?rev=1.2&view=markup

    > > > Basically ogg123/mpg123 like applications would only need 3 alsa calls.
    > > > Now everyone reimplementing their own buggy versions of simple mechanisms.
    > >
    > > While "official" examples exists for a long time.
    >
    > btw. your official examples don't work on simple PCM playback didn't
    > work when I last time tried. Sorry, I can't remember details because it
    > is so long ago.

    Any bug report? We don't have a crystal ball to fix bugs without any
    information.

    Jaroslav

    -----
    Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
    Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
    ALSA Project, SUSE Labs

      Last update: 2006-01-10 10:25    [W:0.029 / U:30.888 seconds]