    SubjectRe: kbuild & C++
    On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 11:21 +0200, Esben Nielsen wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 00:20:11 +0200, Esben Nielsen said:
    > >
    > > > Which is too bad. You can do stuff much more elegant, effectively and
    > > > safer in C++ than in C. Yes, you can do inheritance in C, but it leaves
    > > > it up to the user to make sure the type-casts are done OK every time. You
    > > > can with macros do some dynamic typing, but not nearly as effectively as
    > > > with templates, and those macros always comes very, very ugly. (Some say
    > > > templates are ugly, but they first become ugly when they are used
    > > > way beyond what you can do with macros.)
    > > >
    > > > I think it can only be a plus to Linux to add C++ support for at least
    > > > out-of-mainline drivers. Adding drivers written in C++ into the mainline
    > > > is another thing.
    > >
    > > http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s15-3 Why don't we rewrite the Linux kernel in C++?
    >
    > I can't see it should be _that_ hard to make the kernel C++ friendly. At work
    > I use a RTOS written in plain C but where you can easily use C++ in kernel
    > space (there is no user-space :-). We use gcc by the way.

    Of course. Probably the easiest way is
    -) to provide a pure C interface (read: write functions with C linkage
    that call your C++ stuff) to your C++ stuff
    -) compile your C++ sources separately
    -) kill all not-existing features needed by the linker and other
    programs (or implement them in the kernel/your module).

    > PS. Do the above people break GPL by forcing people to accept a
    > license-agreement before downloading a patch to the kernel? Shouldn't they
    > provide a direct url?

    As long as the license agreement does not conflict with the GPL, I can't
    see a legal problem. And you can download their source - which is
    probably GPL - and put it online wherever you want.
    It is inpolite though, IMHO. But it is also inpolite to top-post, break
    threads, include meaningless disclaimers, etc.

    Bernd
    --
    Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
    mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55