    Subject[patch 0/4] ide: Break ide_lock to per-hwgroup lock
    The following patchset breaks down the global ide_lock to per-hwgroup lock.
    We have taken the following approach.

    1. Move the hwif tuning code from probe_hwif to ideprobe_init, after
    hwif_init so that hwgroups are present for all the hwifs when the tune
    routines for the hwifs are invoked (patch 1)

    2. Change the core ide code to use hwgroup->lock instead of ide_lock.
    Deprecate ide_lock (patch 2)

    3. Change the host controllers to use hwgroup->lock (patch 3)

    4. Change host controller drivers to use per driver lock instead of ide_lock
    where needed or hwgroup->lock on case by case basis. This can be done
    incrementally for various controllers and we will have working code between
    patches -- this is done now for piix controller only. Eventually,
    we can change all controllers to remove ide_lock

    Thanks to Bartlomiej for comments and suggestions.

    Patchset follows. Patchset tested on a smp box with a piix controller.

      Last update: 2005-09-07 01:38    [W:0.020 / U:1.276 seconds]