    Subjectreal read-only [was Re: GFS, what's remaining]
    Hi!

    > > > - read-only mount
    > > > - "specatator" mount (like ro but no journal allocated for the mount,
    > > > no fencing needed for failed node that was mounted as specatator)
    > >
    > > I'd call it "real-read-only", and yes, that's very usefull
    > > mount. Could we get it for ext3, too?
    >
    > This is a bit of a degression, but it's quite a bit different from
    > what ocfs2 is doing, where it is not necessary to replay the journal
    > in order to assure filesystem consistency.
    >
    > In the ext3 case, the only time when read-only isn't quite read-only
    > is when the filesystem was unmounted uncleanly and the journal needs
    > to be replayed in order for the filesystem to be consistent.

    Yes, I know... And that is going to be a disaster when you are
    attempting to recover data from failing harddrive (and absolutely do
    not want to write there).

    There's a better reason, too. I do swsusp. Then I'd like to boot with
    / mounted read-only (so that I can read my config files, some
    binaries, and maybe suspended image), but I absolutely may not write
    to disk at this point, because I still want to resume.

    Currently distros do that using initrd, but that does not allow you to
    store suspended image into file, and is slightly hard to setup.

    Pavel
    --
    if you have sharp zaurus hardware you don't need... you know my address