    SubjectRe: GFS, what's remaining
    On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 01:54:28AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
    > In the ext3 case, the only time when read-only isn't quite read-only
    > is when the filesystem was unmounted uncleanly and the journal needs
    > to be replayed in order for the filesystem to be consistent.
    Right, and OCFS2 is going to try to keep the behavior of only using the
    journal for recovery in normal (soft) read-only operation.
    Unfortunately other cluster nodes could die at any moment which can
    complicate things as we are now required to do recovery on them to ensure
    file system consistency.

    Recovery of course includes things like orphan dir cleanup, etc so we need a
    journal around for those transactions. To simplify all this, I'm just going
    to have it load the journal as it normally does (as opposed to only when the
    local node has a dirty journal) because it could be used at any moment.

    Btw, I'm curious to know how useful folks find the ext3 mount options
    errors=continue and errors=panic. I'm extremely likely to implement the
    errors=read-only behavior as default in OCFS2 and I'm wondering whether the
    other two are worth looking into.
    --Mark

    --
    Mark Fasheh