    SubjectRe: GFS, what's remaining
    Date
    On Monday 05 September 2005 19:57, Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > On Monday 05 September 2005 12:18, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

    > > > Application users Lars, sorry if I did not make that clear. The issue is
    > > > whether we need to export an all-singing-all-dancing dlm api from kernel
    > > > to userspace today, or whether we can afford to take the necessary time
    > > > to get it right while application writers take their time to have a good
    > > > think about whether they even need it.
    > >
    > > If Linux fully supported OpenVMS DLM semantics we could start thinking
    > > asbout moving our application onto a Linux box because our alpha server is
    > > aging.
    > >
    > > That's just my user application writer $0.02.
    >
    > What stops you from trying it with the patch? That kind of feedback would be
    > worth way more than $0.02.

    We do not have such plans at the moment and I prefer spending my free
    time on tinkering with kernel, not rewriting some in-house application.
    Besides, DLM is not the only thing that does not have a drop-in
    replacement in Linux.

    You just said you did not know if there are any potential users for the
    full DLM and I said there are some.

    --
    Dmitry