    SubjectRe: KLive: Linux Kernel Live Usage Monitor
    Hi Andrea

    Two little details:

    The following line does not print what you expect on
    alpha's:

    MHZ = int(re.search(r' (\d+)\.?\d?',
    os.popen("grep -i mhz /proc/cpuinfo | head -n
    1").read()).group(1))

    My /proc/cpuinfo:

    cpu : Alpha
    cpu model : EV56
    cpu variation : 7
    cpu revision : 0
    cpu serial number :
    system type : EB164
    system variation : LX164
    system revision : 0
    system serial number :
    cycle frequency [Hz] : 533171392 est.
    timer frequency [Hz] : 1024.00
    page size [bytes] : 8192
    phys. address bits : 40
    max. addr. space # : 127
    BogoMIPS : 1059.80
    kernel unaligned acc : 61926
    (pc=fffffc00005f7ccc,va=fffffc003feee60e) user unaligned acc : 0
    (pc=0,va=0) platform string : Digital AlphaPC 164LX 533 MHz
    cpus detected : 1
    L1 Icache : 8K, 1-way, 32b line
    L1 Dcache : 8K, 1-way, 32b line
    L2 cache : 96K, 3-way, 64b line
    L3 cache : 2048K, 1-way, 64b line

    Second, you should mention somewhere that it needs at minimum twisted
    1.3.0 to work correctly, did you?

    Oh, another point:
    Some of my machines have long uptimes, and I won't it reboot
    to just match the klive runtime. So the reported uptime
    is (in my cases) far away from true.

    It is very interesting to see how often a vanilla/-git/-mm etc kernel is
    tested. Perhaps klive could be extended to automatically report oopses
    and/or other troubles if possible. What abut reporting core features
    which are used on the machine like fs, scheduler, raid, lvm etc, so that
    the devs can see which subsystem got a lot testing and what is not used
    much?

    Thanks

    Marc

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 05:09:59 +0200
    Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@cpushare.com> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > During the Kernel Summit somebody raised the point that it's not clear
    > how much testing each rc/pre/git kernel gets before the final release.
    >
    > So I setup a server to track automatically the amount of testing that
    > each kernel gets. Clearly this will be a very rough approximation and
    it
    > can't be reliable, but perhaps it'll be useful. If this won't be
    useful,
    > the time I spent on it is very minor so no problem ;).
    >
    > All the details can be found in the project website:
    >
    > http://klive.cpushare.com/
    >
    > Full source (server included) is here:
    >
    > http://klive.cpushare.com/downloads/klive-0.0.tar.bz2
    >
    > To run the client:
    >
    > wget http://klive.cpushare.com/klive.tac
    >
    > Then at every boot (like in /etc/init.d/boot.local):
    >
    > twistd -oy klive.tac
    >
    > In theory we could get rid of the client entirely and make it a kernel
    > config option, but I've no idea if this project is useful, so I don't
    > want to spend too much time on it at this point.
    >
    > Thank you.
    > -
    linux-kernel" in

      Last update: 2005-09-06 00:07    [W:0.028 / U:1.660 seconds]