SubjectRe: KLive: Linux Kernel Live Usage Monitor
Hi Andrea

Two little details:

The following line does not print what you expect on

MHZ = int(' (\d+)\.?\d?',
os.popen("grep -i mhz /proc/cpuinfo | head -n

My /proc/cpuinfo:

cpu : Alpha
cpu model : EV56
cpu variation : 7
cpu revision : 0
cpu serial number :
system type : EB164
system variation : LX164
system revision : 0
system serial number :
cycle frequency [Hz] : 533171392 est.
timer frequency [Hz] : 1024.00
page size [bytes] : 8192
phys. address bits : 40
max. addr. space # : 127
BogoMIPS : 1059.80
kernel unaligned acc : 61926
(pc=fffffc00005f7ccc,va=fffffc003feee60e) user unaligned acc : 0
(pc=0,va=0) platform string : Digital AlphaPC 164LX 533 MHz
cpus detected : 1
L1 Icache : 8K, 1-way, 32b line
L1 Dcache : 8K, 1-way, 32b line
L2 cache : 96K, 3-way, 64b line
L3 cache : 2048K, 1-way, 64b line

Second, you should mention somewhere that it needs at minimum twisted
1.3.0 to work correctly, did you?

Oh, another point:
Some of my machines have long uptimes, and I won't it reboot
to just match the klive runtime. So the reported uptime
is (in my cases) far away from true.

It is very interesting to see how often a vanilla/-git/-mm etc kernel is
tested. Perhaps klive could be extended to automatically report oopses
and/or other troubles if possible. What abut reporting core features
which are used on the machine like fs, scheduler, raid, lvm etc, so that
the devs can see which subsystem got a lot testing and what is not used

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 05:09:59 +0200
Andrea Arcangeli <> wrote:

> Hello,
> During the Kernel Summit somebody raised the point that it's not clear
> how much testing each rc/pre/git kernel gets before the final release.
> So I setup a server to track automatically the amount of testing that
> each kernel gets. Clearly this will be a very rough approximation and
> can't be reliable, but perhaps it'll be useful. If this won't be
> the time I spent on it is very minor so no problem ;).
> All the details can be found in the project website:
> Full source (server included) is here:
> To run the client:
> wget
> Then at every boot (like in /etc/init.d/boot.local):
> twistd -oy klive.tac
> In theory we could get rid of the client entirely and make it a kernel
> config option, but I've no idea if this project is useful, so I don't
> want to spend too much time on it at this point.
> Thank you.
> -
linux-kernel" in
> the body of a message to
> More majordomo info at
> Please read the FAQ at

  Last update: 2005-09-06 00:07    [W:0.205 / U:3.768 seconds]