    SubjectRe: GFS, what's remaining
    On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 10:33:44PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > > - read-only mount
    > > - "specatator" mount (like ro but no journal allocated for the mount,
    > > no fencing needed for failed node that was mounted as specatator)
    >
    > I'd call it "real-read-only", and yes, that's very usefull
    > mount. Could we get it for ext3, too?

    This is a bit of a degression, but it's quite a bit different from
    what ocfs2 is doing, where it is not necessary to replay the journal
    in order to assure filesystem consistency.

    In the ext3 case, the only time when read-only isn't quite read-only
    is when the filesystem was unmounted uncleanly and the journal needs
    to be replayed in order for the filesystem to be consistent. Mounting
    the filesystem read-only without replaying the journal could and very
    likely would result in the filesystem reporting filesystem consistency
    problems, and if the filesystem is mounted with the reboot-on-errors
    option, well....

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-09-05 08:28    [W:0.023 / U:150.996 seconds]