    SubjectRe: kernel 2.6.13 hangs / freezes with nvidia kernel module on switch to virtual console (also 2.6.12)
    On 9/5/05, hanasaki <hanasaki@hanaden.com> wrote:
    > kernel 2.6.13 hangs / freezes with nvidia
    > kernel module on switch to virtual console
    >
    > Running Debian testing and stable and built the kernel with the attached
    > config. Then the NVidia installer was run. Everything boots and runs
    > fine. X and Gnome come up and run. Switching to a Virtual Console
    > locks up the system and shows some crazy colors.
    >
    > The system ran fine with the same configs until ~kernel 2.6.12.x and has
    > exhibited this failing behavior since then with multiple kernels.
    >
    > The graphics card is a shown below and has two outputs both in use for
    > two monitors. Thus the actual driver from NV is needed. I do not
    > believe the Xfree nv driver supports dual head.

    > NVidia version
    > NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run <= from nvidia.com

    Reproduce the problem without a binary only kernel module. Or in this
    case, complain to nvidia.

    It's impossible for kernel developers to debug a problem involving a
    closed source module. The authors of that module will have to do the
    fixing.

    --
    Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>