    SubjectRe: GFS, what's remaining
    Date
    On Monday 05 September 2005 10:14, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
    > On 2005-09-03T01:57:31, Daniel Phillips <phillips@istop.com> wrote:
    > > The only current users of dlms are cluster filesystems. There are zero
    > > users of the userspace dlm api.
    >
    > That is incorrect...

    Application users Lars, sorry if I did not make that clear. The issue is
    whether we need to export an all-singing-all-dancing dlm api from kernel to
    userspace today, or whether we can afford to take the necessary time to get
    it right while application writers take their time to have a good think about
    whether they even need it.

    > ...and you're contradicting yourself here:

    How so? Above talks about dlm, below talks about cluster membership.

    > > What does have to be resolved is a common API for node management. It is
    > > not just cluster filesystems and their lock managers that have to
    > > interface to node management. Below the filesystem layer, cluster block
    > > devices and cluster volume management need to be coordinated by the same
    > > system, and above the filesystem layer, applications also need to be
    > > hooked into it. This work is, in a word, incomplete.

    Regards,

    Daniel

      Last update: 2005-09-05 17:49    [W:0.022 / U:1.808 seconds]