    SubjectRe: [ATMSAR] Request for review - update #1
    On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Alistair John Strachan wrote:

    > On Sunday 04 September 2005 12:05, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
    >> Dears,
    >> thanks to Jiri Slaby who found a bug in the AAL0 handling of the ATMSAR
    >> module.
    >> I attach a fixed version of the atmsar patch as a diff against the 2.6.13
    >> kernel tree.
    > [snip]
    > Just out of curiosity, is there ANY reason why this has to be done in the
    > kernel? The PPPoATM module for pppd implements (via linux-atm) a completely
    > userspace ATM decoder.. if anything, now redundant ATM stack code should be
    > REMOVED from Linux!
    > Most distributions (to my knowledge) supporting the speedtouch modem do so
    > using the method prescribed on; an entirely userspace
    > procedure. pppd does all the ATM magic.
    > Does this have real-world applications beyond the Speedtouch DSL modems? If
    > not, I propose adding this code to linux-atm, not the kernel, since most
    > users of USB speedtouch DSL modems will not be using the kernel's ATM.

    I am using SpeedTouch 330 modem with kernel driver (on Gentoo).

    The instalation is currently (with firmware loader instead of modem_run)
    very simple: USE="atm" emerge ppp, download firmware and place it in
    /lib/firmware, compile the kernel with speedtch support.

    I tried to use userspace driver some time ago but it wasn't working for me
    so I gave up. I was using modem_run with kernel driver for long time to
    load the firmware but there were many problems with it too (nearly every
    kernel or modem_run upgrade was breaking something, modem_run was hanging
    in D state in most unapropriate moments and so on).

    Now I am using pure kernel driver and firmware loader and it works 100%
    ok. There were no problems with it for long time. And I don't even want to
    look at this userspace driver again.

    Since Linux newer was (or is going to be) userspace-driver OS, maybe we
    should leave it that way...

    Grzegorz Kulewski

      Last update: 2005-09-04 18:44    [W:0.035 / U:10.888 seconds]