SubjectRe: RFC: i386: kill !4KSTACKS
Adrian Bunk wrote (ao):
> 4Kb kernel stacks are the future on i386, and it seems the problems it
> initially caused are now sorted out.
> Does anyone knows about any currently unsolved problems?
> I'd like to:
> - get a patch into on of the next -mm kernels that unconditionally
> enables 4KSTACKS
> - if there won't be new reports of breakages, send a patch to
> completely remove !4KSTACKS for 2.6.15
> In -mm, Reiser4 still has a dependency on !4KSTACKS.
> I've mentioned this at least twice to the Reiser4 people, and they
> should check why this dependency is still there and if there are still
> stack issues in Reiser4 fix them.
> If not people using Reiser4 on i386 will have to decide whether to
> switch the filesystem or the architecture...

FWIW: I use Reiser4 for several months now on several i386 systems, and
I always remove the "&& !4STACKS" from fs/reiser4/Kconfig and enable

# zgrep -E 'REISER4|4KSTACKS' /proc/config.gz
Also using lvm2, or raid1, or raid5, on ATA, SATA or SCSI. I haven't
experienced any problems yet, but the systems don't see heavy usage too.

Kind regards, Sander

Humilis IT Services and Solutions