SubjectR: [Linux-ATM-General] [ATMSAR] Request for review - update #1
Date

Well, the idea is that more pci devices may appear, as adsl-enabled embedded systems will begin to appear in the market.

Also, I believe that adsl will carry much more services then just AAL5 for internet connection in the future. Even if the ATMSAR actually lacks of AAL1 and AAL2/3 capabilities, adding them in a single, specialized module is much easier than swimming in a usb+atm middle layer.

Finally, the fact that ATMSAR is device-unspecific makes it easier to maintain, I guess.

> The codingstyle is broken. Please read again Documentation/CodingStyle,

That's a matter of taste: even Linus burned the GNU coding style book...

However, if it is needed by the linux community, I shurely will fix it whenever the ATMSAR idea will get passed: I'm just gathering feedbacks like the previous one you expressed.

> remove the redundant typedef

Oh, you mean the "typedef enum _HECSTS ..." ?

You're right, thanks.

> and the silly comments ("Reserve
> header space",
> Encode packet into cells", ...).

I would prefer to explain better what the ATMSAR is doing there. So, I'll get your as a "clarify silly comments". Ok?

> - &page[strlen(page)] in atmProcRead sucks.

Why? It is preceded by an strcpy(page,...). A constant would be worse if someone changes the prefix string...

Or is a page (a pointer) + strlen(page) (an integer) preferred over a closed syntax?

> - "return" is not a function.

Not even for() or while(). But doesn't they look cute this way?

> - consider 'goto' to handle the errors instead of deep nesting

I prefer not using goto when not required to. Nesting is far more readable to my opinion. Compilers do work fine with both.

Anyway, which are the functions you are objecting?

> - +const atmsar_aalops_t opsAALR = {
> + ATM_AAL0,
> + "raw",
> -> use .foo = baz instead.

atmasr_aalops_t is not an exported structure (you'll find just an opaque definition in include/linux/atmsar.h), so it is not meant to be statically declared by device drivers. But I guess that the problem is readability, right?

Ok, I'm going to consider your hint in the next patch version.

> drivers/net/*c may give some hint.
>
> --
> Ueimor

Thank you for your help.

May I ask if this is just your own contribution or if you are in charge of something in the linux and/or linux-atm projects?

Regards,