SubjectRe: [Linux-cluster] Re: GFS, what's remaining
On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 01:18:05AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > I thought I stated this in my other email. We're not intending
> > to extend dlmfs.
>
> Famous last words ;)

Heh, of course :-)

> I don't buy the general "fs is nice because we can script it" argument,
> really. You can just write a few simple applications which provide access
> to the syscalls (or the fs!) and then write scripts around those.

I can't see how that works easily. I'm not worried about a
tarball (eventually Red Hat and SuSE and Debian would have it). I'm
thinking about this shell:

exec 7</dlm/domainxxxx/lock1
do stuff
exec 7</dev/null

If someone kills the shell while stuff is doing, the lock is unlocked
because fd 7 is closed. However, if you have an application to do the
locking:

takelock domainxxx lock1
do sutff
droplock domainxxx lock1

When someone kills the shell, the lock is leaked, becuase droplock isn't
called. And SEGV/QUIT/-9 (especially -9, folks love it too much) are
handled by the first example but not by the second.

Joel

--

"Same dancers in the same old shoes.
You get too careful with the steps you choose.

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com
Phone: (650) 506-8127

  Last update: 2005-09-04 11:16    [W:0.114 / U:0.132 seconds]