SubjectRe: RFC: i386: kill !4KSTACKS
Date
On Sep 4, 2005, at 23:41:58, Alex Davis wrote:
> --- Sean <seanlkml@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> It's not a philosophical issue, it's what Linux _is_: an open source
>> operating system! That's what the developers are working on; not your
>> half-baked vision.
> Um, ever hear of 'compromise'?? All I'm saying is let people use what
> currently works until we can get an open-source solution.
> Ndiswrapper's
> existence is not stopping you (or anyone else) from pestering
> manufacturers
> for spec's and writing drivers. I look at ndiswrapper as a stop-gap
> solution.
> Hey, even Linus himself has said 'better a sub-optimal solution
> than no solution'.

In any case, this discussion is moot because the kernel API is changing
for the better and there is a clearly defined fix for ndiswrapper that
will allow it to continue to work even with the new interface: allocate
a separate ndiswrapper stack (IE: Not the kernel stacks). The kernel is
under no obligation not to break out-of-tree drivers, etc, even semi-
non-
-binary-only ones such as ndiswrapper. Figure out how to fix it and
move on!

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.