SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Genesys USB 2.0 enclosures
On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 09:53:19PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Jan De Luyck wrote:
>
> > I've posted in the past about problems with these enclosures - increasing the
> > delay seems to fix it, albeit temporarily. The further you go in using the
> > disk in such an enclosure, the higher the udelay() had to be - atleast that's
> > what I'm seeing here (I've got two of these now :/ )
> >
> > One permanent fix is adding a powered USB-hub in between the drive enclosures
> > and the computer. Since I've done that, I've no longer seen any of the
> > problems (i've attached the 'fault' log). Weird but true, since the drives
> > come with their own powersupply.
> >
> > Hope this helps anyone in the future running into the same problem.
>
> This one certainly goes into the Bizarro file.
>
> Just out of curiosity -- when you use the powered hub, does the drive work
> even if you remove that delay completely?

Aren't USB 2.0 hubs more "intelligent" as part of the requirement to
support 1.1 and 2.0 devices? I wonder if it's really a 2.0 drive, and if
the timing is different enough with the hub to make a difference.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

THEY CASTRATED MY QUAKE BITS! I WANT THEM BACK!!!!
-- Greg
User Friendly, 3/27/1998

  Last update: 2005-09-04 23:13    [W:0.090 / U:0.048 seconds]