SubjectRe: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel
Andrew Patterson wrote:
> SDI is supposed to be a cross-platform spec, so mandating sysfs would
> not work. I suggested to the author to use a library like HPAAPI (used
> by Fibre channel), so you could hide OS implementation details. I am in
> fact working on such a beasty (http://libsdi.berlios.de). He thinks
> that library solutions tend to not work, because the library version is
> never in synch with the standard/LLDD's. Given Linux vendor lead-times,
> he does have a valid point.

Any kernel interface lib should be like libc or libalsa: it hides the
kernel details, however nasty they may be, shielding userspace and apps
from various changes over time.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-10-01 02:04    [W:0.128 / U:0.288 seconds]