    SubjectRe: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel
    On 09/30/05 16:45, James Bottomley wrote:
    > On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 14:34 -0400, Luben Tuikov wrote:
    >
    >>James, Linus, can we have this driver in the kernel now, please?
    >

    > A while ago I told you that if you could show that the transport class
    > abstraction could not support both the aic94xx and LSI SAS cards then we

    I have, by example and by spec. They both use two different
    and distinct architectures.

    Now _you_ have decided that this isn't the case, simply because
    you want to prove your own idea. (which breaks SAM layering)

    I think I explained the similarity of the SAS Transport Layer
    to *USB and SBP*.

    As I said: everyone wants a pice of the SAS code.
    You do too.

    I'm sure you'll do whatever humanly possible to show
    that _your_ idea can be applied: you can do this now:
    just use a big if () { ... } else { ... } statement and
    you're done.

    Furthermore I do not see the reasons to umbrella both
    "aic94xx and LSI cards" when they are _completely different_
    in architecture: MPT and open transport (ala USB Storage and SBP).

    > could look at doing SAS differently. Since then you have asserted many
    > times that a transport class could not work for the aic94xx (mostly by
    > making inaccurate statements about what the transport class abstraction
    > is) but have never actually provided any evidence for your assertion.

    The code is here:
    http://linux.adaptec.com/sas/

    >>Now to things more pertinent, which I'm sure people are interested in:
    >>
    >>Jeff has been appointed to the role of integrating the SAS code
    >>with the Linux SCSI _model_, with James Bottomley's "transport
    >>attributes".
    >>So you can expect more patches from him.
    >
    > So very soon now, with proof by code, we shall have confirmation or
    > negation of that assertion. I'll wait quietly for this to happen, and I
    > would suggest you do the same.

    I just thought it was only fare to the rest of the community
    to know how far the politics has escalated.

    Everyone wants a piece of the SAS code.

    Luben

      Last update: 2005-10-01 00:08    [W:4.055 / U:0.068 seconds]