SubjectRe: truncate(2) sometimes updates ctime and sometimes ctime and mtime!

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> There is an inconsistency in the way truncate works which was introduced
> (relatively) recently.
>
> fs/open.c::sys_truncate
> -> do_sys_truncate
> -> do_truncate does:
>
> newattrs.ia_size = length;
> newattrs.ia_valid = ATTR_SIZE | ATTR_CTIME;
>
> down(&dentry->d_inode->i_sem);
> err = notify_change(dentry, &newattrs);
> up(&dentry->d_inode->i_sem);
>
> This changes the ctime only.

Hmm.. That looks wrong, partly because I don't think it should even set
ATTR_CTIME _either_. However, I don't see any recent changes to that code,
so it must have been logn for a long time. That line in do_truncate() has
been like that since at _least_ 2002.

So what changed to make you notice?

The _code_ actually expects the low-level filesystem to just do it when it
does the actual truncate itself. That's certainly what ext3 does, for
example.

A comment or two to that effect might be useful, though.

In other words: some attributes are "implicit". For example, mtime is
supposed to be set automatically by the filesystem whenever it sees a
write. The VFS layer will _not_ do a "inode state notify" event for that.

The same is true of truncation.

But I agree that it's inconsistent. Anybody have any deep opinions?

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.037 / U:3.040 seconds]