    SubjectRe: FUSE merging?
    > Haven't thought about it all much.  Have spent most of my time in the last
    > month admiring the contents of kernel bugzilla, and the ongoing attempts to
    > increase them.

    A penal system could be created, for example if someone is caught
    introducing a bug, he will have to choose three additional reports
    from bugzilla and analyze/fix them ;)

    > > - number of language bindings: 7 (native: C, java, python, perl,
    > > - C#, sh, TCL)

    8 now, someone just sent a private mail about bindings for the Pliant
    (never heard of it) language.

    > I agree that lots of people would like the functionality. I regret that
    > although it appears that v9fs could provide it,

    I think you are wrong there. You don't appreciate all the complexity
    FUSE _lacks_ by not being network transparent. Just look at the error
    text to errno conversion muck that v9fs has. And their problems with
    trying to do generic uid/gid mappings.

    > there seems to be no interest in working on that.

    It would mean adding a plethora of extensions to the 9P protocol, that
    would take away all it's beauty. I think you should realize that
    these are different interfaces for different purposes. There may be
    some overlap, but not enough to warrant trying to massage them into
    one big ball.

    > The main sticking point with FUSE remains the permission tricks around
    > fuse_allow_task(). AFAIK it remains the case that nobody has come up with
    > any better idea, so I'm inclined to merge the thing.

    Do you promise? I can do a resplit and submit to Linus, if that takes
    some load off you.

    Thanks,
    Miklos

      Last update: 2005-09-03 07:34    [W:0.032 / U:1.112 seconds]