    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Framework for automatic Configuration of a Kernel
    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:51:06 +0200 Emmanuel Fleury wrote:

    > Ahmad Reza Cheraghi wrote:
    > >
    > > Again another good Idea. Your right;-) Its better.
    > > But it better getting another way of detecting the
    > > Hardware/Software etc. from the System without using
    > > lspci or the proc-files...? Something that gets all
    > > the Hardware Information directly from the I/O and not
    > > from the Kernel. The good thing about lspci is that it
    > > does both . But it doesnt say if there is a CDROM or
    > > floppy-disc... I tryed alot to search for something
    > > like that but without any success. I heard about this
    > > Otopia Project. I google after it but I didnt find
    > > anything usefule. I think its dead.
    > I might be wrong, but I don't think that there is any other way to get
    > hardware information but through the /proc or /sys interface.
    > Can somebody comment on this ?

    You can use libpciutils (whatever lspci uses) to enumerate
    PCI devices (but I wouldn't, I'd just use lspci :).

    You can clone lsusb to enumerate USB devices... but I would
    just use lsusb.

    You can probably clone 'pnpdump' to enumerate ISA PNP devices.
    But I would just use pnpdump.

    There's probably a ieee1394/firewire enumeration program.

    You won't be able (safely) to discover ISA devices/ports.
    (other than "standard" cnipset/motherboard devices)

    Anyway, I would just use the existing tools unless there are
    things that you must have that they don't provide.

    You can't do anything without having to do something else first.
    -- Belefant's Law

      Last update: 2005-09-30 05:12    [W:0.020 / U:32.652 seconds]