    > Hi,
    >
    > does linux support binaries with code
    > for several architectures? I read that
    > elf allowes that, and for example
    > apple plans to use it on mac os X,
    > but I couldn't find anything whether
    > such binaries would work with linux
    > or not. can you tell me?

    OSX begat from NeXT and NeXT had these same "fat binaries". They are not new :)

    > if linux supports that, it should
    > also work for merging x86 and x86_64
    > into one binary? would ther be a way

    you don't want that ;)

    > to run the 32bit version in the 64bit
    > kernel, if requested? are there any

    32bit user-space can run 100% on 64bit kernel, this is usual in sparc
    if i'm not mistaken

    > tools to create such binaries?
    >
    > with google I found info from 97
    > that indicades elf format has no
    > provision for fat binaries and linux
    > doesn't support them. is that still
    > true?

    just remember that linux is mainly about source access, so having
    "fat" binaries is just wrong because the one-true-way is to get the
    sources and compile for your arch directly. this can be done by hand,
    semi-automated (aka gentoo) or automated (aka debian, fedora, etc...)
    by just installing from precompiled binaries

    > Thanks, Andreas
    > -

    Greetz, Antonio Vargas aka winden of network

    http://wind.codepixel.com/

    Every day, every year
    you have to work
    you have to study
    you have to scene.

      Last update: 2005-09-28 19:32    [W:0.024 / U:33.124 seconds]