SubjectRe: I request inclusion of SAS Transport Layer and AIC-94xx into the kernel
Luben Tuikov wrote:
> On 09/27/05 18:01, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>Just follow the recipe Christoph outlined. It's not difficult, just
>>requires some work.
>

> Anyone have a clear technical plan and/or infrastructure
> on how to do this? Any specs, plans, consolidations, etc?

Yes, read Christoph's todo list.

We need to separate out bits specific to parallel SCSI, moving the bits
to transport-specific code, since SAS doesn't need them.

>>It does an end run around 90% of the SCSI core. You might as well make
>>it a block driver, if you're going to do that.
>

> The "90%" part isn't quite true.
>
> But going with a block device isn't that bad:
> Now since the architecture _is_ SCSI after all, what would be
> needed is a minimal, fast, straightforward, SAM/SPC fully complient
> new SCSI Core. That SCSI Core would register block devices
> with the block layer. Maybe Jens can point out cool things
> to do and make the whole infrastructure fast and very fast.
> (since we don't need to be bound by this legacy stuff)
>
> Essentially other new technology LLDD and Transport layers
> can probably make use of this: Infiniband, USB2 Storage, etc.
>
> So if all you have is an AIC-94xx or BCM8603 storage chip
> you can exclule all of the legacy SCSI Core and compile this
> new mean, lean, fast SAM Core.
>
> Jeff, this isn't bad at all!
>
> Are you willing to contribute to such an effort?

No. I'm much more willing to help integrate aic94xx and
Broadcom/ServerWorks into the existing SCSI core, working with the
community.

As Andrew guessed, it's a way to get you your own playpen, where you
won't be constrained by members of the Linux-SCSI community.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-09-28 04:09    [W:0.813 / U:0.000 seconds]