    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Re: [Security] [vendor-sec] [BUG/PATCH/RFC] Oops while completing async USB via usbdevio

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Alan Cox wrote:

    > Which doesn't take very long to arrange. Relying on pids is definitely a
    > security problem we don't want to make worse than it already is.

    The thing is, the current code is _worse_.

    MUCH worse.

    And it's worse exactly because it does things really wrong. The suggested
    patch then just _continues_ to do things really wrong, and then tries to
    paper over the bugs.

    Which is why I refuse to apply it. Use a pid and do it right.

    If the code cannot be made to use fasync itself, then it can at least be
    made to do the same _checks_ that fasync does (easy enough: just save away
    uid/euid, and do the same signal checks by hand). Until such a time than
    the driver writer sees the light.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:4.000 seconds]