SubjectRe: Resource limits
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 04:42:07PM +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
> Neil Horman wrote:

> > > Consider this dilemma:
> > > Runaway proc/s hit the limit.
> > > Try to kill some and you are denied due to the resource limit.
> > > Use some previously running app like top, hope it hasn't been killed by
> > > some OOM situation, try killing some procs and another one takes it's
> > > place because of the runaway situation.
> > > Raise the limit, and it gets filled by the runaways.
> > > You are pretty much stuck.
> >
> > Not really, this is the sort of thing ulimit is meant for. To keep
> > processes from any one user from running away. It lets you limit the
> > damage it can do, until such time as you can control it and fix the
> > runaway application.
>
> threads-max = 1024
> ulimit = 100 forks
> 11 runaway procs hitting the threads-max limit

This is incorrect. If you ulimit a user to 100 forks, and 11 processes running
with that uid start to fork repeatedly, they will get fork failures after they
have, in aggregate called fork 89 times. That user can have no more than 100
processes running in the system at any given time. Another user (or root) can
fork another process to kill one of the runaways.

If you have a user process that for some reason legitimately needs to try use
every process resource available in the system, the yes, you are prone to a lock
out condition, if you have no way of killing those processes from a controlling
terminal, then yes, you are prone to lock out. In those conditions I would set
my ulimit on processes for the user running this process to something less than
threads-max, so that I could have some wiggle room to get out of that situation.
I would of course also file a bug report with the application author, but thats
another discussion :).
Regards
Neil

> This example is extreme, but it's possible, and there should be a safe and
> easy way out.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks!
> --