    SubjectRe: Linux NTFS Vista compatibility (was: Re: [2.6-GIT] NTFS: Release 2.1.24.)

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Alistair John Strachan wrote:

    > I have limited access to the beta, as it expires every 30 days and forces
    > me to reinstall it. I promise to get back to all of you after 2.6.14 is
    > released with the LogFile changes.

    Thanks. Also, if you don't want to patch or compile yourself now then you
    could just download and unpack this latest CVS ntfsclone binary (used by us
    to collect NTFS metadata images for investigation):

    http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/snapshots/ntfsclone-static-1.11.3-WIP2.tgz

    and run e.g.

    ntfsclone --metadata --output vista-ntfs.img <partition>

    If it gives an error then rerun with the --debug option and the end of the
    output will tell what's the reason for the failure.

    > To clarify, I did not leave the Vista NTFS volume in an inconsistent
    > state. I even forced a chkdsk, rebooted, let it run through, then
    > attempted again to mount it with the NTFS code in 2.6.13. This
    > categorically fails.

    Currently this is the expected behavior if you "interrupt" the chkdsk
    procedure. If you schedule chkdsk then you must boot Windows twice, not
    only once. Otherwise you get the below error message

    NTFS error: ntfs_check_logfile(): Did not find any restart pages in
    $LogFile and it was not empty.

    which means that the log was used by chkdsk which will be handled by the
    next Windows boot. At present the Linux NTFS code can't cope with this
    scenario so you must boot Windows again and then Linux. If you did so, then
    well, the above command could tell the reason.

    BTW, this is not Vista only feature.

    Szaka

      Last update: 2005-09-26 01:44    [W:3.663 / U:0.104 seconds]