SubjectRe: Linux NTFS Vista compatibility (was: Re: [2.6-GIT] NTFS: Release 2.1.24.)
Date
On Sunday 25 September 2005 20:12, Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> > > Do these changes allow us to mount an NTFS volume created by Windows
> > > Vista/Longhorn beta 1 yet?
>
> So far the current NTFS code worked fine with Longhorn/Vista releases.
> WinFS and TxFS (transactional NTFS) are on top of current NTFS and MS
> engineers claim that they work hard to avoid on-disk NTFS format changes.
>
> > > I tried the driver in 2.6.13, and it complains about these
> > > $LogFile states, and ntfscp refuses to work.
>
> This happens probably due to the recent, strict $LogFile check changes.
> Several people reported these and Anton is investigating it.
>
> > > If you're unaware of the problem, I'm happy to help debug it.
>
> Anybody [keep] confirming that the current Linux NTFS code still works
> on the latest Vista beta releases would be highly encouraging for all
> of us ;)
>
> > I am indeed unaware of the problem. Could you try the latest kernel
> > with the ntfs patches in it (Linus already merged them in the official
> > git tree) and tell me if it now works? Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Alistair, any result?
>
> > Note you will need to try the ntfs driver itself and not ntfscp as
> > libntfs does not have these changes yet hence ntfscp will not work just
> > the same (it does not use the kernel driver at all, it only uses
> > libntfs).
>
> The latest ntfsprogs CVS has also these changes and every tool should work
> fine with Vista (ntfscp, ntfsresize, ntfsundelete, ntfsclone, etc).

I have limited access to the beta, as it expires every 30 days and forces me
to reinstall it. I promise to get back to all of you after 2.6.14 is released
with the LogFile changes.

To clarify, I did not leave the Vista NTFS volume in an inconsistent state. I
even forced a chkdsk, rebooted, let it run through, then attempted again to
mount it with the NTFS code in 2.6.13. This categorically fails.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.