    SubjectRe: 2.6.14-rc2-mm1 - ext3 wedging up
    Date
    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:20, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:36:16 +1000, Con Kolivas said:
    >
    > (Adding Andrea to the To: list...)
    >
    > > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 05:59, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > > > Am seeing reproducible wedging up when writing large (20M+) files to an
    > > > ext3 file system. Oddly enough, if something *else* writes files to
    > > > the file system as well, it will unwedge for a while and make progress.
    > > > Also, a 'sync' command will relieve things temporarily - but after a
    > > > few megabytes it comes to a halt again. Looks like a borkage someplace
    > > > not causing it to actually finish pushing dirty file pages out -
    > > > gkrellm reports little/no disk activity in progress. File activity on
    > > > *other* filesystems continues unimpeded.
    > >
    > > Could be the write throttling patches.
    > >
    > > Try backing these out (in this order I think):
    > >
    > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.14-rc2
    > >/2.6
    >
    > .14-rc2-mm1/broken-out/per-task-predictive-write-throttling-1-tweaks.patch
    >
    > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.14-rc2
    > >/2.6
    >
    > .14-rc2-mm1/broken-out/per-task-predictive-write-throttling-1.patch
    >
    > Bingo. I haven't built a kernel with these excluded, but writing 0 to
    > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio_centisecs fixes the problem, so I'm pretty sure
    > this is it.
    >
    > (For the record, I've noticed the starvation issue that Andrea is trying to
    > address, where one process can lock out others, so I *do* think work is
    > needed here...)

    I don't disagree, which is why I was excited by this work as well. Like all
    things in the kernel it always ends up being more complicated than the
    original plan, requiring reworking. So I do not remotely see this as a
    problem at this early stage.

    Cheers,
    Con

      Last update: 2005-09-23 11:48    [W:0.028 / U:0.108 seconds]