    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] ktimers subsystem

    > > Also the basic prerequisite for for high resolution timers is a fast and
    > > simple access to clock_monotonic rather than to a backward corrected
    > > clock_realtime representation.
    > Yup that may be a reason to tolerate the add for realtime.
    > > We should rather ask glibc people why gettimeofday() / clock_getttime()
    > > is called inside the library code all over the place for non obvious
    > > reasons.
    > You can ask lots of application vendors the same question because its all
    > over lots of user space code. The fact is that gettimeofday() /
    > clock_gettime() efficiency is very critical to the performance of many
    > applications on Linux. That is why the addtion of one add instruction may
    > better be carefully considered. Many platforms can execute gettimeofday
    > without having to enter the kernel.

    Eh? One addition is going to be lost in noise compared to syscall overhead.
    (For vsyscall, you may be closer to truth, but I doubt it. You could still gain
    more than one addition by using some strange calling convention).

    64 bytes from icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms

      Last update: 2005-09-22 12:35    [W:0.020 / U:2.912 seconds]